We currently have the technology to GROW animal tissue in labs.
IF enough whale meat tissue could be grown in a lab to satisfy the demand.... would whaling cease to even have a point?
Whale meat is the perfect test case because:
1) its a high value meat and could be an economical alternative to wild harvest.
2) the meat suffers none of the contamination problems
3) the meat is never attached to this planets largest and most complex brain in the first place
4) would help prevent whale species from suffering extinction
5) gets around international laws and drama
6) reduces racism creation, as believe it or not whale killing does result in some anger against 127 million Japanese despite it being the actions of maybe 200 Japanese fishermen behind the whale/dolphin killings
7) halts the destruction of breeding stocks in recovering whale populations
8) is an actual science, and can be started with non-lethal flesh plugs
9) Japanese have no 'culture' of HUNTING whales in the Southern Ocean but do have some history of EATING large whales. Therefor lab grown whale meat WOULD PRESERVE WHALE EATING FOOD CULTURE while avoiding the ethical nightmare and global condemnation from killing live whales.
10) its a chance for Japan to show the world they lead the way in intelligent technology based solutions!